Païkan Marcaggi investigates real time nerve cell interactions, using quantitative approaches. In the course of his research with J.A. Coles (PhD) and with D. Attwell (postdoc) on the role of ammonium and glutamate transporters, he gradually focused his interest on glutamatergic synaptic transmission and plasticity mechanisms. In 2006, he was awarded an MRC Career Development Fellowship and set up an independent lab at University College London. As a principal investigator, he investigated properties of metabotropic glutamate receptors, endocannabinoid signaling and synaptic plasticity in the cerebellum. In 2012, he was appointed a CNRS researcher at the ENS, Paris, where he worked with S. Dieudonné on cerebellar physiology using optogenetic and two-photon microscopy. In 2014, he moved at the INMED, Marseille, where he developed novel approaches to investigate the role of silent synapses in the cerebellar cortex. In 2018, he joined the UNIS, Marseille, to further extend his neurophysiological investigations based on the cerebellum as a model.
- 2018 - Otsu, Y, Lecca S, Pietrajtis K, Rousseau CV, Marcaggi P, Dugué GP, Mailhes-Hamon C, Mameli M, Diana M.
Functional Principles of Posterior Septal Inputs to the Medial Habenula
Cell Reports, 22 : 693-705
- 2015 - Collot M, Wilms CD, Bentkhayet A, Marcaggi P, Couchman K, Charpak S, Dieudonné S, Häusser M, Feltz A, Mallet JM.
CaRuby-Nano: a novel high affinity calcium probe for dual color imaging
eLife, 4 : e05808
- 2015 - Marcaggi P.
Cerebellar endocannabinoids: retrograde signaling from purkinje cells
Cerebellum, 14 : 341-353
- 2014 - Otsu Y, Marcaggi P, Feltz A, Isope P, Kollo M, Nusser Z, Mathieu B, Kano M, Tsujita M, Sakimura K, Dieudonné S.
Activity-dependent gating of calcium spikes by A-type K+ channels controls climbing fiber signaling in Purkinje cell dendrites
Neuron, 84 : 137-151
- 2014 - Pachoud B, Sharma P, Bergerot A, Knöpfel T, Marcaggi P.
Quantification of the density of cooperative neighboring synapses required to evoke endocannabinoid signaling
Neuroscience, 256 : 412-425
- 2013 - Chaumont J, Guyon N, Valera AM, Dugué GP, Popa D, Marcaggi P, Gautheron V, Reibel-Foisset S, Dieudonné S, Stephan A, Barrot M, Cassel JC, Dupont JL, Doussau F, Poulain B, Selimi F, Léna C, Isope P.
Clusters of cerebellar Purkinje cells control their afferent climbing fiber discharge
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 110 : 16223-16228
- 2013 - Bergerot A, Rigby M, Bouvier G, Marcaggi P.
Persistent posttetanic depression at cerebellar parallel fiber to Purkinje cell synapses
PLoS One, 8 : e70277
- 2009 - Marcaggi P, Mutoh H, Dimitrov D, Beato M, Knöpfel.
Optical measurement of mGluR1 conformational changes reveals fast activation, slow deactivation, and sensitization
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 106 : 11388-11393
- 2007 - Marcaggi P, Attwell D.
Short- and long-term depression of rat cerebellar parallel fibre synaptic transmission mediated by synaptic crosstalk
Journal of Physiology (London), 578 : 545-550
- 2005 - Marcaggi P, Attwell D.
Endocannabinoid signaling depends on the spatial pattern of synapse activation
Nature Neuroscience, 8 : 776-781
- 2004 - Marcaggi P, Attwell D.
Role of glial amino acid transporters in synaptic transmission and brain energetics
Glia, 47 : 215-225
- 2004 - Marcaggi P, Jeanne M, Coles JA.
Neuron-glial trafficking of NH4+ and K+: separate routes of uptake into glial cells of bee retina
European Journal of Neuroscience, 19 : 966-976
- 2003 - Marcaggi P, Billups D, Attwell D.
The role of glial glutamate transporters in maintaining the independent operation of juvenile mouse cerebellar parallel fibre synapses
Journal of Physiology (London), 552 : 89-107
- 2001 - Marcaggi P, Coles JA.
Ammonium in nervous tissue: transport across cell membranes, fluxes from neurons to glial cells, and role in signalling
Progress in Neurobiology, 64 : 157-183
- 2000 - Marcaggi P, Coles JA.
A Cl(-) cotransporter selective for NH(4)(+) over K(+) in glial cells of bee retina
Journal of General Physiology, 116 : 125-142
- 1999 - Marcaggi P, Thwaites DT, Deitmer JW, Coles JA.
Chloride-dependent transport of NH4+ into bee retinal glial cells
European Journal of Neuroscience, 11 : 167-177